Rialto Theatre (South Pasadena)
Built in 1925
1023 Fair Oaks Ave
The Rialto Theatre was built in 1925 and designed by Lewis A. Smith, designer of dozens of movie Palaces in Southern California. From the beginning the Rialto presented a combination of movies and live vaudeville, and still has a fly-gallery, dressing rooms and a green room. The Mighty Wurlitzer Organ was removed after a fire in the 1970’s, although the organ console has recently returned home to South Pasadena and is on display at the South Pasadena Preservation Foundation’s museum.